Question:

Hello, does putting a “no sub-rental” clause in a rental contract cause a problem for selling chametz? I know that my rav rents (if a renter is selling the chometz) the area under the chametz to the goy.

Answer:

There would be no problem in this, because the clause refers to sub-letting to somebody else who will live in the property, and not as a technical method of making an acquisition in Jewish Law. This applies to contracts which do not permit the tenant to sub-let the property.

However, if the wording on the contract is that “the rights of the tenant cannot be transferred,” rather than “the property may not be sub-let,” it is possible that the clause would be binding even concerning the sale enacted by the rav. In this case, special permission should be asked from the landlord.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Renting and borrowing Selling chametz or ask your own question.