I am baffled by part of the answer brought by Rabbi Yehoshua Pfeffer in article of 13 Kislev 5774 entitled Using Inedible Oil for Chanukah. He brings Gemorrah Brachos 35 b as a source for his conclusion. I fail to see how that sugya reflects at all on question of proper oils for Chanukah – which is clearly not the subject under discussion (the question is more as to where one can find a case where it is appropriate to make any brocha on consuming olive oil). 02 537-3026

Answer:

The idea of the source mentioned is to show that in the eyes of the Sages the concept of “edible” oil means using the oil as a dip, and that to drink oil is damaging. Meaning, the Sages themselves appreciated that drinking oil is damaging to the body, and this was not of course a reason to disqualify the relevant oil for candle lighting, or to render it less mehudar.

For use as a dip, it stands to reason that the olive oil marketed for lighting is not damaging to the body – and it does not appear that the olive oil they had was of better quality.

Best wishes.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Hanukkah or ask your own question.