There is a big trend now that involves “mining” crytocurrencies. Crytocurrencies are digital mediums of exchange, or digital money. People can procure these currencies by “mining”. Mining is the term given to the process of producing virtual currencies like bitcoin and litecoin, where computers solve mathematical equations and are rewarded with coins for their efforts. In order to mine one configures their computer to run a program. Once the computer is set their is no need for anything further to be done. One can merely set it and forget it.

If I mine cryptocurrencies throughout the week, may I continue to do so through Shabbos as well? Can you mine on Shabbat?

Answer:

Very interesting to learn about the concept of Crytocurrencies such as Bitcoin.

Because mining is an automatic process, because there is no labor involved and because there is no specific Shabbos issue, it appears that there is no problem of “mining” continually even on Shabbos.

Please see here for details of this matter.

Best wishes.

Tags: shabbat Shabbos

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Shabbat shabbat Shabbos or ask your own question.