The jewish dentist put a crown on a tooth about 4 months ago and told my friend the patient that usually crowns should last for at least 10 years. The crown fell out and was lost after just 4 months.

Is the dentist required to replace the crown or at least offer a discount for a new one? And does the concept of minhag hasochrim which would maybe imply a warranty apply to the dentist? Also is there an aspect of mekach ta’us over here?

Thank you for your response.

Answer:

This will not be a case of mekach ta’us. When a person pays for a crown he doesn’t pay for putting the crown on, but for molding and fitting the crown – as well as for the work of putting it on the tooth.

Although the dentist will be obligated to put the crown back on after it fell off – presumably it wasn’t glued on strongly enough, or perhaps it fell off for some other unexpected reason – the question doesn’t specify how the crown got lost, and I assume that the crown’s getting lost wasn’t the (direct) fault of the dentist.

Therefore, it doesn’t appear that the dentist will have to supply a new crown. He will have to give the treatment of putting on a crown for free, but not of molding a new one.

Minhag HaSochrim will apply and is binding – but you will have to check what there is concerning this matter.

I would recommend explaining what happened to the dentist and asking him to please help out in the matter. I assume that he can make a new crown for a discounted price, and this is probably the best course of action.

Best wishes and good luck.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Business and Commerce or ask your own question.