I did some work on a project for someone else. When the project was complete the employer was late in sending me my paycheck. After a few months he wired the payment directly to my account and within the deposit he included extra money because he felt bad for the delay. Is this Ribbis? Do I have to return the money? Please provide sources.

Answer:

There is a possibility that this is considered a rabbinic form of ribbis, though many are lenient for a one-time lump payment.

Certainly, there is no obligation to pay back the money.

Best wishes.

The question of extra payment of this type is discussed by a number of authorities. Some write that it is permitted to pay extra for a late salary payment, and others are stringent (see Or Zarua, Bava Metzia 181; Beis Yosef Yoreh De’ah 160; Shach 176:8; Pischei Teshuvah 161:1 citing from Chavas Yair 190).

However, the authorities ruling stringently generally refer to an extra sum that is given on a time-delay basis (the longer the delay the greater the fine), so that this has a clear ribbis connotation. In your case, there is only a one-time lump payment, which is a single “fine” that is not time related. In this case, this will not be ribbis (see Yoreh De’ah 177:14).

Even if there is a ribbis concern, there is no obligation to pay it back because it is only ribbis me’ucheres, a rabbinic form of ribbis whereby there is no obligation to pay back the money.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Employees and employers Interest on loans or ask your own question.