After removing the Etrog from the paper box where it came in, I realized that the box has the pasuk “Ulkachtem Lachem…V’Arbei Nachal” (twice). Does the paper box require Geniza/Shaimos?

Answer:

Under the circumstances one can be lenient and discard the box after wrapping it in a bag.

Best wishes.

The pasuk is not written for purposes of Torah study etc. but only as an expression.

In addition, we can use as a tziruf the opinions that printed material does not have kedushah (in particular offset).

We have addressed this matter in greater detail elsewhere; I am writing in brief because of time pressure.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged The Laws of the Sukkah or ask your own question.

One Response to “Discarding Etrog Box with Pesukim”

1. I’m looking for the reference where it states in the Shulchan Aruch where Chava bit the Pitum off the esrog for a less painful delivery.