Can my brother in law be in the house with me during the day or does the door have to be left open?
Additionally at night when my 9 year old son and 8 year old daughter are home what would be the halacha of having him in the house when my husband is out. May I lock the door?
Many thanks

Answer:

The door must be left open when you are alone with brother in law.

At night your 2 children would provide shemira to prevent a yichud problem. However, you must also determine that the situation does not violate the guidelines of tznius. So if this is a one time thing that may be ok, but on a regular basis it would seem questionable if such a situation is proper behavior.

Tags: brother in law Yichud

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Prohibition of seclusion (Yichud) brother in law Yichud or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Yichud with Brother in Law”

1. Thank you for your prompt reply- does bala beir not allow him to be in the house with me during the day?

• no, with a brother in law this heter does not apply, as there is already a friendly relationship with him