Question:

I would just like to know the brief halachos of owning the wedding ring I understand it has to belong to the chosson, What happens if his parents bought it for him does he need to pay them back, Is a maaseh kinyan on the ring not enough or do you need to actually pay for it and if you do then why? Thanks

Answer:

Mazal Tov 

Mazal Tov, on your upcoming Chasuna, may you be zoche to build a bayis ne’eman b’yisroel.

The choson does not have to pay them back, it is sufficient that his father gives him the ring as an irrevocable present. A maaseh kinyan is enough. It is sufficient for him to pick the ring up a tefach, so it will be with kinyan hagba’ah.

Tags: Marriage ring

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Marital laws Wedding Marriage ring or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Owning the wedding ring”

1. A revocable present is sufficient?
    Perhaps “irrevocable” is what was meant?

• You are right, that is what was originally written. For some reason it didn’t appear that way when it got online.
      Thank you for the correction!