Question:

Dear rabbi,

I do not know either of their mother’s Hebrew names and am unable to know what to ask for if I need a tehillim for their health. My dad’s mother is Gertrude and my mother’s mother is Eleanor.

Can you suggest a safe name for both should I have need to daven for their given blessings in any G-d forbid soon refuah shlemiah? It would be helpful and I have been asking for tehillim for myself by Shmuel ben Yehudit. I have been minding scared health today and need hope and prayer.

Many thanks

Answer:

Is your parent’s ketubah accessible? It might say their father’s names there. If the name of a sick person’s mother is not known, we may daven for the person using his father’s name. If the father’s name is also not available, we can even use the person’s last name!

Aruch Hashulchan O:Ch 119-1, Midrash Talpios (choleh), Ein Yaakov Brachos 34, Orchos Rabeinu 1- 218 and pg. 333.

Tags: prayer sick

2 Responses to “Don’t know mother’s Hebrew name.”

1. Or even the city. [Chazon Ish]

• correct.