Question

My wife transfered maaser money from our general checking account to our tzedaka account. Immediately after performing the transaction, she realized that she had forgotten to subtract approx. $5000 that we had “borrowed” from our general account over the year for tzedaka. We had been waiting until my pension arrived to deduct the borrowed maaser from the amount we intended to separate as a result of the lump sum pension payment.

My wife assumed that she had made a “ta’us” in her calculation and transfered the $5000 back into the general account as soon as she realized her mistake. Was this acceptable to do, or did she need to leave the money in the tzekada account?

Answer

If she did indeed make a mistake in her calculation, she may transfer the money back into her account.

Tags: Tzedaka

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Tzdakah and maaser Tzedaka or ask your own question.