Gut Yohr,

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and also anxiety/hypertension. Without warning, I get chest pains, stomach pains and other ailments as well as weakness on fast days and also on any ordinary day. I have had a few episodes of chest pains (that lasted longer than normal) and feel that it is a “sakanah” due to the fact that chest pains can be dangerous. Please advise, Thank you.

Answer:

You should consult with your medical practitioner concerning your condition, and determine whether your condition places you in sakanah (danger) upon fasting.

After you have a clear medical opinion, we will be able to advice further.

Best wishes and g’mar chasimah tovah.

Tags: Fasting

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) Fasting or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Fasting with Chest Pains”

1. My physician feels that I can fast, but when I get the chest pains and high blood pressure I feel that I am in sakanah. What does the Rav say?

• Sorry for not replying earlier. I did not see the comment. If the physician says its OK, you should try to fast. If you experience chest pains, and you feel that you are in a state of danger, it will be permitted to eat. These matters are delicate, and it is best to consult with a local Rabbi, who is hands on in cases of emergency. Best wishes.