Should I have my child who is at the age of Chinuch, say a Birchas Shecheyanu on a new toy that he receives, similar to the way adults say it on a new car, clothing. If yes, does the toy have to be an expensive one, or is it enough that the child is very happy upon receiving the present?

Thanks in Advance,

Yaacov Silverstein

Answer:

Yes, if the child has reached the age of chinuch for berachos, and he receives a gift that brings him joy, he should recite the Shehecheyanu blessing. My children did so recently for their new bicycles.

The gift doesn’t have to be especially expensive, but it should be “important” enough to cause significant joy.

A simple gift will not usually bring such joy to chinuch-obligated children, and it is part of the chinuch that the blessing is only made over “important” items.

Best wishes.

Tags: brachos Chinuch shehechiyanu

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Blessings (brachot) brachos Chinuch shehechiyanu or ask your own question.