In practically all hotels (and many hostels) outside the Land of Israel, it’s customary for there to be a ‘New’ Testament in a bedside drawer.

I remember reading before that there’s a positive mitzvah not go keep sacreligious objects in one’s immediate surroundings, especially irreligious books, and all the more so books of other faiths (avodah zara).

I guess there’s nothing one can really do in such a situation, as it would surely be assur to interfere with the hotel’s property (which the book is), but is there any recommended advice to follow?

Thanks.

Answer:

The “New Testament” is not Avodah Zarah, but is rather classified as “sifrei minus.”

Although it is not permitted to read (see Rambam, Avodah Zarah 2:2), you don’t have to do anything about it, and as you note, it is not your property to “burn it.”

Best wishes.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Uncategorized or ask your own question.