I have a kollel couple renting an apt from me in Lakewood, NJ. He slipped on the steps & broke his ankle. He has filed suit in civil court! He says he hasn’t consulted with a Rov. Is he allowed to do this? Should I call HIM to a din Torah?


He is definitely in the wrong for taking you to court, the more so because in this specific case the results of a lawsuit will apparently be very different from the results of action taken in Beis Din.

You can call him to a Din Torah, and Beis Din will certainly seek to prevent him from continuing the lawsuit against you. I am surprised to hear that a kollel couple from Lakewood has proceeded in this manner.

Best wishes.


Share The Knowledge

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Damages Jewish courts or ask your own question.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *