To Donate Click Here

Lost Get Document

When a couple is proceeding to divorce, what is the halacha if the wife realizes she does not possess her Get as it may have been misplaced or lost? Can they still proceed with the divorce? What are the ramifications?


If the wife has been given the Get, the subsequent loss thereof doesn’t affect her status. The Get is required only as a means of proof that she was divorced.

In fact usually the Get itself is retained by the Beit Din, and the wife is given a document called a Maaseh Beis Din which testified to the fact of her divorce.

If the document or the Get has been lost, the Beis Din should be contacted for supplying a new document of proof to the divorce.

Best wishes.

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

  1. Error in question. Meant to ask if she lost her Kesuva document

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *