PLease, what is the method to check kale for bugs in Israel if it doesn’t grow in bug-free conditions ?
Thank a lot
The following is what the star-k recommends regarding checking kale. See https://www.star-k.org/checking
THRIP CLOTH METHOD
- Wash produce well
- Prepare a basin with water and non-bleach and non-toxic dishwasher detergent solution. The water should feel slippery.
- Agitate the produce in the solution for 15 seconds.
- Remove the produce from the basin and shake off excess water over the basin.
- Pour water through the thrip cloth.
- Check the thrip cloth over a light box for any insects.
- If insects are found, repeat steps 1-6. This can be done up to 3 times.
If insects are still found on the third try, the produce should not be used.
Note: If one does not have a thrip cloth, the water may be checked for infestation by placing a white basin over a light box.