Is there ever a time when one would rise for a woman?
Here are a number of times when one should stand up for a woman.
- A child shoud stand up when his mother enters the room.
- For one’s mother in law, or a step mother.
- Standing for the wife of a talmid chacham. There is a story told that the Chofetz Chaim stood up when the wife of R’ Boruch Ber entered the room because “eishes chaver k’chaver”.
- An old woman
- When a woman is doing a mitzvah, such as when a kallah in her way to the chuppah enters the room, (because she is on the way to do a mitzvah).
- Y:D 240-7.
- Taz Y:D 240-20.
- Halachos Kitanos 1-154, Ramban, Rashba, Ran Shavuos 30b, Ben Ish Chai 2 KI Teitzei 16, R’ S> Z. Auerbach zt”l (letter at the end of sefer V’hadarta Pnei Zaken), Shevet Halevi 5-130. Kima Vhidur 7 ftnt. 40.
- Shevet Halevi ibid.