Question:

I were hearing aids in i want to know if I’m aloud to change battery in shabas or yom-tov in also how about making the volume lower or higher
Thanks

Answer:

Changing the battery is problematic, because it is like turning the hearing aid on and activating it on shabbos. However you may ask a gentile to do it for you. It is important to remember to check that the batteries are either fully charged or that new batteries be inserted o the hearing aid before shabbos.

Regarding changing the volume, is permitted according to many poskim. The reason being is that you are not making any new circuit by changing the volume

I am attaching a very practical Kuntres from Horav M. Shuchatowitz, a posek in Baltimore and an expert on these topics,  Toras Hacheresh  He can be reached at 443-802-8559

.

Minchas Shlomo 1:9 p. 74 d”h v’al kol panim, Shemiras Shabbos K’Hilchasa 34-28, Lev Avrohom 1:6:(132),  Be’er Moshe 1-17.

2 Responses to “About hearing aids on shabbos”

1. I can’t see what’s written in the kuntres but might it not be the case that previous decisions that volume controls could be used were based on an assumption of use of a variable resistor (potentiometer) but today’s hearing aids might have electronic volume control buttons which work by means of closing a circuit, thereby raising a concern of boneh?

• Please read the kuntris, which is now attached to the post ,and if you still have any questions, feel free to call him at the above number.