Question:

If I am in a bedroom/living room or any room that has an adjacent bathroom and the door the the bathroom is ajar, do I need to close it before making a brocha, bentching or saying other Torah/tefila in the room I am in?

Answer:

According to R’ Moshe Feinstein zt”l (E:H 114) you do not have to close the door because it is considered in a different domain. However according to other poskim (V’zos Habracha 15-8 in the name of R’ Eliyashiv zt”l) there is a preference to close the door only if you can see the toilet, potty etc. Even according to this opinion one may close his eyes and say a bracha, additionally this would not apply to a shower room, and according to everyone, one can make brachos even if the door is open.

Best Wishes

Tags: Bathroom brachos

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Prayer in an unclean place Bathroom brachos or ask your own question.