Question:

Shalom aleichem. There are many old music tapes that I still have, but unfortunately cannot use because my car does not have a tape player. If I have the ability to download or copy this music in digital form, am I allowed to do that? I do own the tapes already but just can’t use them. Also, the tapes, when they were bought, cost more then it would cost right now to download the MP3 files for the same music. Thanks so much

Answer:

It is permitted. Although it is controversial if one may copy or download music, in your situation it is permitted without a  problem because there are places that you can convert the tape into mp3 form, therefore you can technically do it yourself, and you aren’t infringing on the owners rights.

Best Wishes

Tags: copyright

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Copyright and infringement copyright or ask your own question.