Question:

thank you for everything yo uare doing.. the question…. some weeks ago bibi prime minister of IL went with official visit to ukraine and was welcomed with bread and salt. ( in ukraine tradition they welcome guests with bread and salt and you supposed to try the bread…. my question is how to react when non jew is offering you bread like this? what Halacha says ? how to react

Answer:

If pas akum will apply here is questionable, because it depends on who made it and if there is other bread available. However, there are other issues here, such as plain kashrus, because the bread might have non-kosher ingredients, such as shortening from a non-kosher animal. IY”H hopefully one day he might ask the question and then we will have to look into it further, until then I would stay away from it..

Kesiva Vchasima Tova

Tags: pas akum pas yisrael

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Non-Jewish prepared foods pas akum pas yisrael or ask your own question.