I bought an item from a Jewish store. After a few uses, I found that it was slightly faulty. I intend returning it, but it will be a while before I can get back to the same store, and I’ve used the item a few times since this decision (as I don’t yet have a replacement).

Does this constitute ribis? May I continue to use it lechatchilah until I get back to the store?

I don’t think there is a “ribis” problem because since your intention was to purchase the item therefore the money given was not intended as a loan. Also since you are still using the item, the usage is worth money and they are entitled to keep your money. Never the less I don’t know if you can keep on using the item because the store are not at fault that it is taking you a while to get back. Every usage causes a slight depreciation. The best thing is to ask them if they mind you using it until it is returned.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Business and Commerce Renting and borrowing or ask your own question.