If see a rainbow I need to say a brachah. This I know. But my question is in Israel, when it rains a lot in the beginning of winter you can see it nearly every day, so its sounds to me like a normal thing that happens. Do you say a brachah even if you see a rainbow daily? Is this a sign of Divine anger?

Answer:

Yes, the appropriate bracha (Zocher HaBris) is recited upon seeing a rainbow even if this happens daily (which is very rare).

Like the brachah for thunder and lightning, one recites the brachah again whenever there is a “new” rainfall.

The rainbow is a natural phenomenon. According to some commentaries it is a bad omen and reminds us of Divine anger and restraint; however, it is also a symbol of Divine mercy (see Abarbanel to Bereishis 9:14; see Rashi and other commentaries who interpret the rainbow as a sign of Hashem’s desire to destroy the world, but holding back from doing so).

Best wishes.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Blessings (brachot) or ask your own question.

One Response to “Brachah on Rainbow”

1. thank you