A hotel employee hotel quoted a price to my wife of $250 a night. She agreed to have our family stay for 4 nights and that they should forward the info to me for final approval.
They forwarded the info and mistakenly (an honest mistake) quoted $750 b/c they they only counted 3 nights. At checkout they realize the mistake and want us to pay the full $1000.
I agreed to the $750 initially b/c I though that this was the price for all 4 days and might not have agreed it the larger price. What are my responsibilities?

Answer:

Under these circumstances you don’t have to pay more.

If you were quoted a sum of $750, and agreed based on this sum, without realizing that there is a mistake, you cannot be charged more for the stay.

The “contract” between the parties was 4 nights for $750, and this is what is binding; it is not up to you to ensure that they have not made a mistake in their accounting.

In view of the situation, however, perhaps it is best to reach a compromise of sorts by paying a little extra for the fourth night. The special reason for this in the situation is that your wife was aware of the fact that the cost is $1000. Although I understand that you are the one making the decision and paying out the money, this is perhaps cause for reaching some compromise.

Best wishes.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Business and Commerce or ask your own question.