I just got a form from Bituach Leumi asking me to pay over 4500 shekels for next year’s Bituach Leumi contributions. They offer the option of paying in one payment in two weeks (which I would normally choose, but I don’t have an extra 4500 right now) or in 5 or 8 tashlumim through horaat keva (which would be much easier).

But the form says those two options include ribit of 0.35%. Is it permissible/assur to choose one of those options?

Thank you.

Answer:

Although these options do involve Ribit, the State, like all Israeli institutions, will have a Heter Iska.

It is sometimes preferable to refrain from using the Heter Iska. However, in this case, where the other side is not a person but rather the State, so that Ribbis is not being paid from person to person, and moreover in a case which is not Torah Ribit, one can certainly be lenient and rely on the Heter Iska.

Best wishes.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Interest on loans or ask your own question.