Do you say kriat shema during maariv and before you go to bed? And if it’s only before you go to bed can you say it while sitting on your bed? And do you have to face east during it? Sorry for all the questions I just want to know the right way Hashem wants me to do it.

Answer:

Kerias Shema is recited during Maariv, and again – the first paragraph alone – before one goes to sleep. This is known as Keriat Shema Al Hamita.

This bedtime Shema can be recited sitting on the bed, and there is no need to face any particular direction when saying it.

According to the Rambam, Shema is the last thing one should say before actually falling asleep. The common custom, however, based on most halachic authorities, is to recite the HaMapil blessing after Shema.

Best wishes.

Tags: bedtime shema

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Kriyat Shma bedtime shema or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Bedtime Shema”

1. It is better to say all 3 parshas before retiring.

• not “better” necessarily, just a question of differing customs