i may owe my parents several thousand dollars for various reasons.they don’t know about this. ii recently occured to me that perhaps i am patur from at least some or all of the sum, because they treated me horribly as a child and teenager,emotionally,as well as several instances of assault,and others of public humiliation. perhaps they are chayav some of the chamisha dvarim,which patters me.what is the halacha?

Parents who are trying to educate their children do not have the same status as a stranger who damages, so therefore they might not be held responsible. Also now days the Botei Din do not award payment for all the five categories of damage. I suggest you sit down with a competent Rabbi and discuss the matter with him.

CH:M 1:2

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Damages or ask your own question.