Question:

Do you have to daven Maariv before you eat on a minor fast day?

Answer:

You do not have to daven maariv before breaking the fast. Even on Yom Kippur it is technically permitted except for the fact that we have to hear havdalah. As a side point, I once heard that the reason the most people daven before eating after a fast is because there is a certain preference to a person’s teffilah when it is said while the person is fasting, however this is only a “ma’alah” and certainly not a requirement

M:B 624-3, R’ Y. Cahen shlit”a

Tags: fast days maariv

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Fast days fast days maariv or ask your own question.

4 Responses to “Maariv on a fast day”

1. To sit down to a seuda before davening Maariv and fulfilling the mitzvah d’oraysa of Shema – that would be problematic, as one is not allowed to eat a meal prior to fulfilling a mitzvah that is already incumbent (or about to become incumbent) on him. So probably the rav’s answer is only referring to a snack.

there is a certain preference to a person’s teffilah when it is said while the person is fasting – is there a source for this?

• 1. it is no differant than any other night if one eats before davening maariv.
      2. Mabit in Bais Elokim, and Tosefos at the end of Yuma. I don’t know exactly where.

2. Can one drink water on motzei yom kippur before havdalah?

• If one needs it, it is permitted to drink water, but the person should say Boruch Hamavdil beforehand. See Shmiras Shabbos K’hilchoso 62-25 in the name of R’ S. Z. Auerbach zt”l