- Are Ice gel packs allowed to be used on Shabbos?
- Are they allowed to be put back into the freezer on Shabbos?
- Are Ice gel paks allowed to be used on Pesach?
- We are allowed to use a gel pack to take down swelling on shabbos. The reason for this is because the prohibition not to take medications on shabbos is only applies to remedies that are treated with medication, however remedies that are not treated with medicine such as minor inflammations are not included in this prohibition, and therefore it is permitted.
- It would be permitted to put it back into the freezer if it intended for shabbos use. There is controversy if water may be made into ice on Shabbos, numerous poskim say not to and many poskim say that it is permitted, if it is needed it is permitted, and when it is needed because someone is in pain, coupled with the fact that it isn’t even clear if the ice inside the pack is indeed totally liquified, therefore it is permitted.
- Ice packs may be used on pesach without a problem.
- Shulchan Shlomo 328-37, Halachos of Refuah on Shabbos pg. 29.
- Dovev Meisharim 1-55, Shemiras Shabbos Khilchoso 10-4, Maharshag 2-103, Hapardes (Sivan 5694) 14 in the name of R’ S. Z. of Brisk zt”l, Chelkas Yackov 2-98, 3- 113, Be’er Moshe 6-Kuntris Electric 11-4, Hilchos Shabbos ( R’ Eider zt”l) 8 ftnt. 333 in the name of R ‘Moshe zt”l, Btzel Hachochma 2-25, Meorh Hashabbos 1 pg. 511 in the name of R’ S. Z .Auerbach zt”l, Tzitz Eliezer 6-34, 8-12, Oz Nidberu 1 pg. 144, Mishneh Halachos 4-48, Shevet Halevi 3-55, Yalkut Yosef Shabbos 3pg. 408, The Shabbos Kitchen pg. 171, R Y. Cahen shlit”a.