My father has been beating my mother and my brother and sisteers and I for many years. He has finally moved out and has refused to give my mother a get. Is there any halachic way for my mother to divorce him and for her not to become an agunah. I have looked and it says that the beis din can pressure him to give it but he doesnt neccesarily have to. Please reply as soon as possible.


If a husband is beating his wife, and the husband has been warned concerning his behavior, and/or it is clear that the problem won’t go away, then he is obligated to grant his wife a divorce (a get). The actual enforcing of a get depends on individual circumstances, but in extreme cases it is certainly possible (see Beis Yosef, Even Ha-Ezer 74, 154).

The process by which a husband can be forced to give the get, however, is not simple. In Israel, the Rabbinate has official govenment-mandated powers, which can include imprisonment if necessary. Outside Israel the process involves less offocial channels.

Either way, the way to start the process is by filing a claim for divorce with the local Beis Din, which is what you should do, and see where things develop from there.

Best wishes and good luck!

Share The Knowledge

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Divorces or ask your own question.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *