Question:

Hi. You mentioned http://dinonline.org/2013/06/24/the-three-weeks/ that painting during the three weeks is praiseworthy to refrain from, however my question is I have a investment property that’s going to become vacant within the next week and I need to paint it before I can re-rent and therefore would be potential loss of money if I can’t show the apartment and rent it for two to three weeks it is that the problem as well?

Answer:

It is permitted for you to paint the apartment. The reason why it is preferable not to paint one’s apartment is because a person has joy when his home is newly painted, and it is preferred not to cause ourselves such joy during the three weeks. However, in your situation, you are not painting your apartment in a way that will cause you enjoyment, because it isn’t even or you, rather in order to fulfill the local rental laws. Therefore, it is permitted.

Eliyahu rabba 551-4, M:B 551-12, Kovetz Halachos 5-18, M’bais Halevi Inyonei Bein Hamitzarim pg.23.

Tags: Three Weeks

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Bein Hametzarim - The Three Weeks Three Weeks or ask your own question.