For donations Click Here

Claiming Kesuba without Document

If a divorcing woman has misplaced her kesuva document, can she still claim a kesuva amount from her husband? If yes, what if the written kesuva amount is unknown?


She can still claim the kesuba. She can only claim the amount that is agreed. In general (for a besulah) this is assumed to be 200 Zuz (there is a dispute as to how this sum translates today).

Concerning amounts beyond this, only an agreed amount that is remembered can be claimed.

Today, the great majority of women don’t claim their kesuba, but rather come to a financial arrangement with their former husband, and forego their kesuba.

Best wishes.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *