How long does one say kadish for a sibling if there is a son to say it for the whole year?

Answer:

When there is a son saying Kaddish, the siblings generally do not say kaddish at all.

Tags: avelus kaddish

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Mourning and burial avelus kaddish or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Kaddish for Sibling”

1. My mother passed away 2 1/2 years ago and I said Kaddish for her for the full 11 months.
    My sister passed away about 6 weeks ago. Her son (my nephew) doesn’t know how to say Kaddish and won’t learn. I have been saying Kaddish for her the past 30 days and two weeks
    but don’t believe I should go the whole 11 months for her. Can I hire someone to say Kaddish for my sister in lieu of her son for the year? I want to do the right thing for her.
    Thanks for your help.

• If you can’t do it yourself, the next best thing is to hire someone else to do it.