I live in a neighborhood where parking for the “mercaz” store area was free for many years (close to 2 decades). Recently, in an effort to free up more parking spots (which were being used/abused by residents and businesses, rather than customers) the city zoned the parking as requiring payment. The easiest way to pay is by setting up an account with a vendor and using your phone to sign in and out of parking, then you get a monthly bill. Sometimes I forget my phone when I go shopping, or sometimes I simply forget to call. I want to know if I use the parking lot (esp. at a time when there are many empty spots) and neglect to call in to pay – is that considered stealing or is it just risky (as I could get an expensive ticket). If the latter, then should I call in to pay even when I am not there to make up for a time when I used the parking lot but forgot or neglected to pay?
Thanks

Answer:

One is obligated to pay for parking when required. The ticket is not a stipulation and an option rather a fine for one who does not pay.

Unless their policy is stated otherwise, it would seem that one should pay by deducting from his account.

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Law of the Land and secular courts or ask your own question.