Question:

Hello.

Three questions:

1. I see that it is preferable not to say Tehillim at night–but what, exactly, is “night”? If I wake up at, say, at 5:30 a.m. in the winter, before neitz (while it is still dark), may I say Tehillim?

2. Should I say Birchas Hashachar at that time, or do I wait for the morning?

3. What is the earliest time to say Birchas Hashachar?

Thank you for answering all these questions.

Answer:

1. The idea of not saying tehillim at night only applies before chatzos (midnight), after chatzos the minhag is that it is permitted, although there are some pious people that abstain from this.
  2. You can say Birkas Hashchar when you wake up, however if it is before Alos Hashachar you should not say “asher nosan lasechvi” until then.
  3. From whenever you wake up, as stated above.

Best Wishes

1. Hakosuv L’chaim (R’ C. Falagi zt”l) Hakadama that the minhag is to say tehillim after chatzos, even by those who go according to the Arizal, Zechor L’avrohom 3 Kuntris Acharon pg. 116, that this was the minhag in E. Yisroel. Midrash Baal Shem Tov pg. 180, Siddur Chida (Seder Limud Halaila-4) says that the minhag in E.Yisroel according to The Rashash was that tehillim is not included in what the Arizal said, he does say that very pious people were careful about this also.
  2. Shulchan Aruch O:CH 47-13.

Tags: tehillim

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Laws of Nighttime tehillim or ask your own question.

2 Responses to “Saying Tehillim at night- ealy morning”

1. Thank you for answering. I do have a follow up question.

You say, “You can say Birkas Hashchar when you wake up, however if it is before Alos Hashachar you should not say “asher nosan lasechvi” until then.”

I’m not sure when Alos Hashachar is. Could you explain? Is it before dawn?

• It is approximately 72 minutes before sunrise, but you haveto check your local calender for the exact times.