I got wine from R’ Chaim Kanievsky. Being that it is homemade, I dont know if it is mevushal or not. I left the cleaning lady home alone while she was cleaning the fridge. Do I have to throw out the wine?

Answer:

If the cleaning lady did not know that you are going out for a lengthy period of time, and she fears that you may come home at any time, the wine is permitted.

If she knew that you would not be returning home for a while, and she is from a people who practice idolatry, the wine is prohibited even if she was left alone for a short time. If she is from a people who do not practice idolatry, the wine becomes prohibited only if she was left alone with the wine for a considerable period of time.

Sources: See Shulchan Aruch and Shach, Yoreh De’ah, 128:1; Bein Yisrael Lenochri, pp. 349-151.

2 Responses to “Wine Left with Cleaning Lady”

1. Thank you. I told her that I will be gone for 20 minutes. Is that considered an example of a time frame in ehich she would be scared to do anything questionable lest I return home at any given moment?

• Twenty minutes is still fine. See Chochmas Adam 76:2.