For donations Click Here

Is it permitted to take goverment assistance


Is it permitted for a Jew to receive “food stamps” money and/or disability money from the US government, with regard to receiving charity from a non-Jew?’
What if the recipient is a Jewish ‘King’ or ‘Officer’?




It is permitted to receive money from a government and it is not considered receiving tzedakah from a gentile, because the money is coming from the taxes that both Jews and non Jews paid. Secondly, the issue of taking tzedakah from a non Jew is if he is giving it for Jews, but here the government is giving to everyone equally.

I don’t understand why there should be a difference if the recipient is an officer or not.



Tzedakah Umishpat chap. 1 ftnt. 68.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *