Question:

I have always felt Jewish so I converted to Judaism decades ago. However, recently my mother and I have tested positive for a genetic anomaly that is know to affect Persian Jews… Can this mean that my mother is Jewish ???

Answer:

What determines if a person is born a Jew or not depends on the persons mother. If she is Jewish then he is also Jewish, and if she isn’t then he isn’t, but he can always convert. In your situation, since your mother has also tested positively you would want to check to see if her mother is Jewish. The would make her Jewish ,and therefore it would make you Jewish. Genetics alone can not determine that a person is Jewish because the can come from a persons father as well as from a persons mother.

Tags: Jewish people

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Conversions and converts Jewish people or ask your own question.