Question:

My husband has been struggling financially for many years since the collapse of his business. I started working and began paying many of the bills my husband used to pay including supporting my son who’s learning in Eretz Yisroel and putting away money to marry off my daughter and to help  support her as well. My husband approached me this morning for money to pay an insurance bill that he usually takes care of. Can I take this money from MAASER money?

Answer:

Maaser money is not supposed to pay personal obligations and the normal expanses of running a home are encluded in this. It is true that you are not personally obligated to pay the bills, your husband is, nevertheless the expenses of running your home should not come from maaser. You can however take the money you give to support your son learning in Eretz Yisroel from maaser money, (unless he really doesn’t need the support).

Best wishes

Tags: maaser money

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Tzdakah and maaser maaser money or ask your own question.