Question:

Is Viduy allowed to be said like this: “Hashem I’m sorry that I did xyz…” instead of “I did xyz… Hashem, I’m sorry!” Stating just the sin first and then saying I’m sorry is very painful. When I start off by saying I’m sorry that I did xyz then it’s easier to say because even as I confess what I did I’m automatically denouncing it. But then again it also feels like excuse because if I say I’m sorry it feels like I’m expecting Hashem to be kind to me and forgive what I did, instead of when I say what I did before I say I’m sorry it’s must scarier and feels shameful. It’s easier to say what I did if I already said “I’m sorry.” If I already said I’m sorry then it feels like an excuse to confess without fear. Which way is right?

Answer:

Both ways are considered vidui and are good, since the point was made.

Tags: Teshuva

Not what you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Repentance Teshuva or ask your own question.