What is required to create a Gueniza “bor” in our school? (only dig a hole and put all material in-papers from students like tests etc or that is another requirement?)
- Since you are only burying books and papers and not tefillin, mezuzahs, sifrei torah, or neviim, you do not have to bury them inside an earthenware jug.
- However they should not be put straight into the ground, but should be placed inside a container and preferably plastic bags that won’t disintegrate, and will preserve the shaimos.
- Additionally, the “bor” should not be made in a place that will be opened later in a way that the shaimos will be degraded.
- The shaimos should be covered preferably with 3 tefachim (24-29 cm.) of earth, but at least a tefach (8-9.6 cm). The main idea is that it should be covered in a way that it will not come to get uncovered and degraded.
- O:CH 154-5, Ginzei Hakodesh Chapter 15-1.
- Ginzei Hakodesh Chapter 15- 4.
- Ginzei Hakodesh Chapter 15-9
- Ginzei Hakodesh Chapter 15-10