To Donate Click Here

Maaser Kesafim

Question:

I had a follow up question to an article that was posted entitled “Maaser Kesafim: Obligation, Custom and Virtue” published on 11/24/2017. There it stated: “According to some authorities, the special virtue of maaser—for which the Torah promises wealth (and even permits testing Hashem)—is only achieved when one donates exactly one tenth of his income. Therefore, if a person wants to give more than 10% of his income to charity, he should preferably separate exactly 10% first, and then give the additional money (Shut Chavos Ya’ir 234, based on Mishna in Avos 1:16).”

Practically speaking, for example, if I have $1000, I would first separate and give out exactly $100 (10%), and then I would give out a second sum in a separate transaction again for $100 (10%) for a total of $200 (20%, which is a choimesh).

1st Question: Is it ok to give both of these sums to the same person, organization, or cause e.g. using separate transactions such as 2 separate checks, or 2 separate electronic fund transfers, or should each 10% be given to 2 different people, organazations, or causes?

2nd Question: I was under the impression that a person is not allowed (i.e. it is ussur) to give more than 20% i.e. a choimesh. If this is so, then I was thinking, that if I were to tithe the whole 20% in one day, I would not be allowed to give any more money when collectors come and ask for money during the upcoming month e.g. when I am davening in shul. For instance, if the day after I give out this 20% maaser, I then give out $10 i.e. 10 one dollar bills to 10 different people, then I would be over the 20% giving limit, as now I would have paid out a total of $1,010. At that rate, after 10 days I would have given out $1,100 which would be $100 over the limit, etc.

Is this correct? Is this something to worry about? How should one proceed?

 

Answer:

Hello,

  1. The Shulchan Aruch writes that even though there are certain causes, and certain people that have “kedima” (precedence) and should be given to first, however we should still not[1] give all of our tzedakah to one person or to one cause. This is because, even if something is a bigger cause (i.e. supporting torah learning) or if we have a stronger obligation to support a certain poor person (i.e. a family member) nevertheless, if we will only support the best causes, the other poor people will starve. One should give half or one third to other causes.
  2. The reason why we are not to give more than 20% to tzedakah is in order that we ourselves should not cause ourselves to become poor, by giving away too much. There are however times when it is permitted, (See sources[2]). One of the times when one may give more than 20% is if there are a lot of poor people. If you have more people to give to, then it seems that it is permitted, but make sure that you still have enough for your needs. Another option is, that when separating the 10% plus 10% for tzedakah, take from that money to give out to the people collecting, and this way you will have given exactly 20% (but make sure that they are indeed needy.)

Hashem should send you all the brachos of a person who gives maaser correctly.

Best wishes

[1] שולחן ערוך יורה דעה הלכות צדקה סימן רנז סעיף ט “לא יתן אדם כל צדקותיו לעני אחד בלבד”.חכמת אדם שער משפטי צדק כלל קמה סעיף ה “אבל הפוסק צדקה לעניי עולם אינו רשאי להחזיק לקרוביו לבד אבל רשאי להחזיק המחצה לקרוביו ויש אומרים שני שלישים (עיין בית יוסף סימן רנ”א) והשאר צריך לחלק לענים אחרים”

 

[2] ע’ שבה”ל ס’ קל”ג-א שבעשיר מופלג מותר לתת יותר מחומש וז”ל “וכן מצאתי בפשיטות בשאילת יעבץ ח”א סו”ס ג’ שכתב כן וכן בס’ ראשון לציון להגה”ק בעל אור החיים וכן סתם בפשיטות הגה”צ בעל חפץ חיים ומ”ב בספרו אהבת חסד פרק כ ובהגה פ, יט דבעשיר מופלג לא היתה התקנה דאל יבזבז יותר מחומש.”

ע’ אהבת חסד פ”כ שיש כמה אופנים שמותר לבזבז

  • שעשיר מופלג יכול לתת יותר מחומש, ושכן הוא בחכמת אדם כלל קמ”ד-י’. ( סע’ א’)
  • קודם מותו- רמ”א ס’ קמ”ט-א, וע’ באחרונים שמותר עד שליש או מחצה ולא יותר.
  • י”א שאם בוא אליו עניים רעבים או פדיון שבוים שרשאי ומדת חסידות הוא. (סע’ ב’)
  • כשזה נוגע לפקוח נפש ממש אין ענין לא לתת יותר מחומש, שחייך קודם לחיי חבירו אבל אין ממונו לפני חיי חבירו. ואם צריך לתת כל ממונו לזה ע’ שבה”ל ה-קע”ד.
  • המבזבז שאל יבזבז הוא מנכסי ביתו אבל מי שמשתכר העבודה קבוע ונותן מעט יותר מחומש מותר כיון שיש לו עבודה קבוע לחיות ממנו. (סע’ ג’)
  • להחזקת התורה מותר לבזבז ותר מחומש וכן ביטת מקובצת כתובות נ., ויש לזה ראי מיששכר וזבולון שנתן חצי. והוא מן הדין שזה כמו עסק שעי”ז קנה ומקבל חלק בשכר תורתו. (סע’ ד’)
  • שמי שמ”מ מבזבז ממונו על דברים אחרים, אין לו איסור שלא לבזבז יותר מחומש. (בדרך אמונה פ”ז ס”ק כ”ו,)

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *